Alexander von Humboldt Foundation 2023 German Research Chair “Mathematics and its Applications” at AIMS South Africa
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation has announced the establishment of a research chair at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in Muizenberg, South Africa, as part of the BMBF-funded “German Research Chairs” program.
The research chair is intended to help strengthen mathematical higher education and research in Africa, to promote networking between AIMS South Africa and German higher education institutions, and to support networking among African AIMS centers.
AIMS South Africa is a component of the AIMS-Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI), which aims to create a coordinated network of supra-regional centers of excellence in Africa. AIMS centers are also located in Senegal, Ghana, Rwanda, and Cameroon.
The chair holder will also be affiliated with a South African university.
- Type: PhD
- Organisation: Alexander von Humboldt
- Country to study: South Africa
- School to study: African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
- Course to study: View courses
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: May 15, 2023
About the Alexander von Humboldt
We support scientists and scholars of all academic disciplines and nationalities. Through international research exchanges, we strengthen Germany as a research location. We provide ongoing support to our sponsorship recipients and actively promote international understanding, scientific progress, and development.
The research chair will be funded for up to 835,000 euros for the first six years. This money could be used to pay for
- The salary attached to the research chair, to be determined depending on your career stage
- Relocation costs
- Research stays in Germany
- Participation in national and international conferences
- Expenses for organising workshops and conferences at the AIMS centre
- Specialist literature, equipment and expendable materials at the AIMS centre
German Research Chair “Mathematics and its Applications” Courses
If you are interested in applying for the German Research Chair in “Mathematics and its Applications” at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in South Africa, we invite you to do so.
- Have completed your doctorate and established an internationally outstanding research record in mathematics and its applications
- Have several years of experience in research, teaching, and supervising students and, ideally, doctoral candidates
- Conduct application-relevant research into topics with the potential to contribute to the development of the African continent
- Would like to initiate academic collaborations with colleagues at German higher education institutions
- Are willing to relocate to, live and work in South Africa for the duration of the funding period
The complete application requirements can be found in the program information. The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation expressly encourages qualified female academics to apply.
How to apply
Only online applications are accepted. Please follow the guidelines for completing the application and the information on required documents when filling out the online application form. The FAQ contains additional information and advice relevant to your application (at the bottom of this page).
If you are unsure, we will gladly advise you at any time: GermanResearchChairs[at]avh.de.
On request, personal consultation via video call is available.
The deadline for applications is May 15, 2023.
For more details, visit Alexander von Humboldt Foundation website.
May 15, 2023
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See What Others Are Reading: