Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral Candidates from Developing Countries at University of Bonn 2023
The Argelander Scholarships for doctoral candidates from universities in the Global South are now accepting applications.
The goal is to fund doctoral candidates from African, Latin American, and Asian countries in order to promote scientific exchange with partners, particularly in regions that have been relatively marginalized in terms of scientific production, and to promote international cooperation in the priority regions identified in the partnership strategy. The funding is for a minimum of three months and a maximum of twelve months.
This funding line is intended to strengthen collaborations between scientists in Bonn and their partners in the aforementioned regions, as well as to expand such collaborations in terms of early-career researcher promotion.
When the application is submitted, a formal or informal cooperation agreement between the doctoral candidate’s home institute and the host institute in Bonn should already exist. The Bonn-based researchers serve as applicants.
- Type: PhD
- Organisation: University of Bonn
- Country to study: Germany
- School to study: University of Bonn
- Course to study: Not specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: May 1, 2023
About the University of Bonn
We are one of eleven German Universities of Excellence, the only university with six Clusters of Excellence, and our University has produced more Nobel Prize winners and Fields Medalists in recent decades than any other German university. For the past 200 years, our University has been shaped by outstanding individuals from a variety of disciplines.
We are known for research-led study programs, Bonn’s international flair as Germany’s United Nations city, and as part of a dynamic science region in the heart of the liveable Rhineland. We are one of Germany’s largest traditional research universities, with approximately 35,000 students, 6,000 doctoral candidates, 550 professors, and 6,000 employees.
The funding can cover the following:
- A stipend for travel (depending on country of origin)
- A €1,500 monthly scholarship (additional funds for accompanying family members: up to €300 for a spouse and €250 per child)
- A monthly research expense allowance of up to €300 that can be submitted to the International Office after the scholarship is awarded. Your scholarship award will include information on how to apply for the allowance.
The funding is for a minimum of three months and a maximum of twelve months. Please keep the instructions in the financing plan in mind when calculating costs (and use the following Excel table, download here).
International doctoral candidates pursuing a doctorate at a university or research institute in Africa, Latin America, or Asia are given preference. Doctoral candidates who are already enrolled in a Ph.D. program at the University of Bonn are ineligible for funding. Funded students should complete their doctorates at their home university (to avoid brain drain).
Documents Required for Application
- Online form
- Project description (PDF of max. 8 pages), consisting of:
- An outline of the research project that will be undertaken during the individual’s stay in Bonn; please write your proposal for a multidisciplinary audience.
- The host’s reasons for inviting the doctoral candidate
- An outline of how the doctoral candidate will be integrated at the host institute (place of work, participation in teaching and research activities at the institute), as well as an outline of how the project will be supervised in Bonn.
- The home university’s justification for the academic goal of the research stay in Bonn
- Information on the doctorate’s current status and planned completion date in the home country
- CV and motivational letter of the doctoral candidate (PDF)
- A financing plan (please use the following Excel table, download here)
How to apply
Who submits the application?
A full-time professor from the University of Bonn must submit the application. Each host/professor can consider up to two applications. Doctoral candidates must submit a motivational letter that has been signed.
For more details, visit University of Bonn website
May 1, 2023
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See What Others Are Reading: