The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is currently accepting applications for the Helmut Schmidt Scholarships for the academic year 2022-2023. This is one of the most prestigious scholarships available in Germany, and it is aimed specifically at students from developing nations.
International students can apply for DAAD Masters Scholarships in Public Policy and Good Governance. The grant allows students to enroll in Masters-level public policy programs at German universities. The scholarship deadline is July 31, 2022.
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance program provides excellent graduates from developing countries with the opportunity to pursue a Master’s degree at German institutions of higher learning in disciplines that are particularly relevant to their home country’s social, political, and economic development.
Participating Programmes in Host Institutions:
The scholarships are awarded for selected Master courses at the following German universities:
- Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg: MA Analysis and Design of Social Protection Systems (Blended-learning)
- University of Duisburg-Essen: MA Development and Governance
- Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
- Universität Magdeburg: Peace and Conflict Studies (MA)
- Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit Organisations
- Universität Passau: Development Studies (MA)
- University of Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy
- University of Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)
The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or English.
Candidates from Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific, Western, Central, and South-Eastern Europe; Eastern Europe, Central Asia, and the South Caucasus; and the Middle East and North Africa are eligible for the fellowship.See the list of eligible countries.
Tuition expenses are waived for DAAD scholarship holders in the Helmut-Schmidt-Program. The DAAD now pays a monthly scholarship payment of 861 Euros. The scholarship also includes contributions to German health insurance, appropriate travel allowances, a study and research subsidy, and, where available, rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children.
All scholarship recipients will receive a 6-month German language course prior to beginning their studies.
The following are the most essential selection criteria:
- Acquired a higher education degree with above-average grades (top third of graduates)
- Certificates in foreign languages (requirements vary depending on the respective course of study)
- Political and/or social activity (see ‘Target group’ above) is seen as a plus.
- Internships and/or professional experience are also great factors to consider.
- An description of the applicant’s academic and personal reason for studying in Germany, as well as for selecting and prioritizing study courses
- An account of the applicant’s viewpoints after returning to their native country or location
The following groups are not permitted to participate:
- Applicants who have resided in a country that is not included in the DAC list of developing and emerging nations for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline.
- Applicants who received their most recent higher education degree more than six years before submitting their application.
In any event, all Master’s courses have additional prerequisites that must be met by applicants.
Applications are currently closed.
Please send your applications to the universities listed below for the master’s programs and the DAAD scholarship (not to DAAD). You must specify that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut Schmidt Program (Master’s scholarships in Public Policy and Good Governance). The application process for all eight colleges will take place from June 1 to July 31, 2021.
It is important to read the 2022 Announcement and visit the official website (listed below) to get the application form and further details on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: Click here to Apply!
DAAD Masters Scholarships in Public Policy and Good Governance are available to study at German universities at the master’s level.
Under this scholarship program, you can study the following subjects:
- Public Policy
See What Others Are Reading: