The Department is poised to turn competent manpower in Agricultural Economics, Farm Management, Agricultural marketing, project appraisal, agricultural extension communication and administration as well as Agricultural Cooperatives and rural development. To this end, the Department awards two degree options in.
- Agricultural Economics and Farm Management.
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology.
Recommended articles specially for you
- How to Easily Gain Admission into Delta State University (Delsu)
- How to Pass DELSU Post utme (Absolute Guide)
- Top 4 Mistakes Delsu Aspirants Make – (Number 2 will shock you)
- How to Check Your DELSU Post UTME Result Easily
- Delsu Change of Course & How to Apply (Guide)
- Updated List of All the Courses Offered in Delta state university
- 7 Understandable Reasons Why you will NOT GAIN Admission into DELSU
To make effective contribution in the area of capacity building and skills development and application in the immediate community through teaching and research in agriculture and rural development.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
In the next ten years, we will work to attain the following goals and objectives:
- To build students capacity in the areas of farm management and quantitative techniques;
- To turn out self reliant productive graduates in agribusiness management;
- To improve responsiveness of agricultural information dissemination
- To develop schemes for mobilizing agribusiness operators/entrepreneurs into cooperative societies as a means of poverty alleviation
- To develop skills for applying economics resource allocation in agricultural production
- To produce graduates who will profitably put their skills into operation by establishing/ operating their own agribusiness
- To provide advisory services in farming
- To enhance capacity and capabilities in agribusiness, product development and utilization.
Department of Agric Economics and Extension ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
For admission into any of the first degree programmes of the University, a candidate shall be required to possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE) or its equivalents with credit level passes in five (5) subjects at not more than two sittings. The candidate must also earn an acceptable score in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
- Candidates seeking admission by direct entry into the 200 level, must have at least five (5) O/L credits, two of which must be at Advanced Level or approved equivalents.
Departmental Admission Requirement
- U.M.E. Candidates
For admission into the first degree programme in Agriculture, a candidate must have the Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE) or its equivalents with credit level passes in five (5) subjects: English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry to form the core subjects, with credit in any of the following: Physics, Biology or Agricultural Science at not more than two sittings. The candidate must also earn an acceptable score in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
- Direct Entry Candidates
In addition to the specified qualification for UME Entry Mode (100Level), candidates seeking admission through the Direct Entry Mode (200- Level) must posses one of the following qualifications.
- General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (GCE A/L) or its equivalent passes in Chemistry and in at least one science or social/ management science subject from the following: Biology, Botany, Zoology, Mathematics (Pure and Applied), Agricultural Science, Physics, Geology, Economics and Geography.
- National Diploma (OND or ND) obtained in relevant fields of Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry, Wildlife, Cooperative and Agribusiness Management, or Veterinary Science with a minimum of upper credit.
- National Certificate of Education (NCE) passed with a minimum of Credit grade (60- 69%) obtained from a College of Education recognised by the University and with relevant subject combinations from among: Agricultural science, Biology, Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Home Economics.(ii) 300- Level:
Higher National Diploma (HND) obtained with a minimum of Upper Credit in relevant fields as listed for OND/ND holders and from NBTE accredited institutions recognised by the University.
Inter and Intra Transfer
A candidate is accepted on transfer into the University only at 200 level if he/she has satisfied the UME entry requirement into the University and has not been withdrawn from the University.
However, candidates running the Bachelor of Agriculture, Bachelor of Fisheries and Aquaculture, and Bachelor of Wildlife and Environmental Resources Management programmes could be allowed to transfer from one option to another within the programme at any point up to 400 level.
Post UTME Screening
All Candidates seeking admission into the University irrespective of their UTME scores shall be required to pass the University post UTME Screening test before being admitted.
- Students shall normally complete registration at the beginning of the semester.
- Any addition or deletion from the courses for which a student is formally registered must be made with the consent of the course coordinator.
- A student may be allowed to withdraw from a course by the course administrator before a third of lectures have been given. Such a student who withdraws after this time or who fails to sit for examination without reasons acceptable to the appropriate Faculty/Department Board shall be deemed to have failed the course. A Grade point of 0F shall be recorded for the student in the course.
- Late registration in the course may be allowed with penalty of up to 4 weeks after the commencement of registration.
Duration of Degree Programmes
The minimum duration is 10 semesters for the Bachelor of Agriculture (B.Agric), Bachelor of Fisheries and Aquaculture, and Bachelor of Wildlife and Environmental Resources Management programmes. Direct entry candidates with ND/NCE and equivalents shall have minimum duration of 8 semesters while those with HND shall have minimum duration of 6 semesters.
For the BSc Cooperative and Agribusiness Management degree programme, the minimum duration shall be 8 semester. The Direct entry candidates with ND/NCE/AL and equivalent qualifications shall have a minimum duration of 6 semesters while those with HND shall have minimum duration of 4 semesters.
- To qualify for the award of a degree at Delta State University, a student is required to have completed and passed the prescribed number of units including all compulsory courses specified by the University.
- completed and met the standards for all required and optional courses.
- obtained the prescribed minimum CGPA.
Note: Admissions into these graduate programmes are considered on an individual basis. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Department of Theatre Arts to make sure that supervisors are available for specific areas prior to application for admission.
Delta State University Contact Address
Note: Admissions into these graduate programmes are considered on an individual basis. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Department of Agric Economics and Extension to make sure that supervisors are available for specific areas prior to application for admission.
Delta State University Contact Address
List of Available Departments in Delta State University
For some certain reasons, you are not able to find what you hoped you will find in this particular Delsu Department, we have taken our precious time to create a list of all the available departments in the prestigious Delta state University.
You can click here or the below button to see the full list of all the current departments in Delta state University, don’t forget to keep your eyes open for the accredited departments in delta state university.
Everything you need to Know about Delta state University
Delta State University which is popularly known as DELSU, is one of the most prestigious state owned university in Nigeria.
Delsu currently operates a multiple campus system with three distinct campuses, which are about 200 km apart.
The University has its main Campus located at Abraka, Delta State and other campuses in Anwai-Asaba and Oleh which are still in the same state, Delta.
Delta State University is one of the 25 federal universities that is been controlled, overseen and accredited by the National Universities Commission.
As of the time of this post, the University offers a wide range of educational programs, ranging from full time certificate, degree and diploma programs to part time weekend and evening degree programs.
Delsu also offers post graduate studies up to doctorate level.
The University possesses a student/staff counselling centre, an e-learning centre, students and lecturers accommodation facilities, sporting complex and host of other amenities.
This unique university boasted of about 36,000 student population as at the 2007/2008 academical session.
Frequently Asked Questions about Delsu
We took our time to research about the frequently asked questions about Delsu and came up with a bunch of them.
What is the full meaning of Delsu?
Delsu is an abbreviation for Delta State university.
When was Delsu founded?
Delta state university was established in the year 1992.
What is the motto of Delta State University (Delsu)?
Knowledge Character and Service.
What is the official website of Delta state university (Delsu)?
www.delsu.edu.ng offers every thing you need to know about the school such as weekly bulletins, library information, gallery, students admission status, etc.
While www.delsuonline.com offers portal services such as, students and admin logins, printing of school fees receipt, replacement of Lost identity cards, result checking, printing of departmental courses, etc.
Does Delsu offer Scholarships?
Delta state university offers scholarships, bursary, grants and different awards. The University has a special scholarship plan and grants to various categories of students.
Is Delsu a federal or state University?
Delta state university is a state owned university, which is overseen and accredited by the National University Commission
Where is Delsu Located?
Delsu is located in Delta state, Nigeria. It has it’s main campus in Abraka and other campuses in Anwai-Asaba and Oleh.
The History of Delsu
Delta State University(Delsu) was generally recorded as a center of Education.
It began as a Government Teacher’s Training college during the colonial period and a few years into the post colonial times.
Delsu became an educational college that awarded the Nigerian Certificate of Education (NCE) from the year 1971 to 1985.
The University got affiliated with the University of Benin in the year 1981, and started offering degree programmes from 1981 till 1985.
Before it became the faculty of Education of the then Bendel State University with its main campus in Ekpoma.
The creation of Edo and Delta states in the year August 1991 and the conversion of the formerly known Bendel University Ekpoma, in December 1991 triggered the establishment of the independent Delta State University Abraka.
This move was carried out by the then Executive Governor of the state, Olorogun Felix Ibru on the 30th of April 1992.
Delta State University began with Five faculties at its early stage:
- Faculty of Education.
- Faculty of Agriculture.
- Faculty of Arts.
- Faculty of Science.
- Faculty of Social science.
In the year 1995, the State government enacted a policy which enabled the University to posses 3 campuses.
These campuses were distributed within the 3 senatorial districts of Delta state.
As a result of this enacted policy, the main Campus was established in Abraka, and the other campuses were established in Anwai-Asaba and Oleh.
Delsu Campuses and Their Faculties.
Delta State University’s academical programmes/faculties are currently distributed among the Campuses below.
Delsu Abraka Campus
Abraka is an urhobo kingdom in Delta state, which has been made popular due to the fact that the main Campus of Delta state university (Delsu) is located there.
Faculties in Delsu Abraka Campus.
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Art
- Faculty of Social science
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Science
Delsu Anwai- Asaba Campus.
Asaba is a city found in Delta state, which is located at the western edge of the Niger River.
It is a fast growing urban area which possesses one of the Delta state university’s campuses.
Faculties in Anwai-Asaba campus
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Accountancy
- Faculty of Environmental Studies.
Oleh, the headquarters of the Isoko south local government area is home to one of the Delta State University Campuses.
It was established as a result of the amended Edict in the year 1995
Facilities in Oleh Campus
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Engineering
Delsu Hostel Accommodation (Halls of Residence)
The state owned university offers a wide range of accommodation for both post graduate and undergraduate students.
These Halls of residence are distributed through out the various campuses.
Abraka Halls of Residence (hostel)
- Abraka hall for males
- Canon Mason Hall for males
- Medical hostel
- Council Hall .
- Eco hall
- Ethiope hall
- Medical Hostel
- NDDC Hall
- Executive Hostel
Anwai halls of residence (hostel)
- Council Hall
- Asaba Hall
- Niger Hall
- NEEDS assessment hall
Delsu Oleh Halls of Residence (hostel)
- Two government hostel
- Brooklyn hall
- Two Government Hostels
- Isoko Development Venture hostel
- Women Affairs Hall
See What Others are Reading
- How to Prepare a Personal Reading Time Table
- How to Improve your School grades
- 7 Degree Courses that will keep you self employed
If are unable to find what you are looking for here or maybe you have any correction regarding this post, kindly DROP A COMMENT below and we will respond to you as soon as possible.