The Department of Animal Science formerly known as the Department of Animal Science and Fisheries was created alongside three others namely: Agricultural Economics and Extension, Crop and Soil Science, and Forestry and Wildlife Management at the inception of the Faculty of Agriculture. The Department awards the Bachelor of Agriculture (Animal Science) degree to students upon graduation after a five-year programme.
Recommended articles specially for you
- How to Easily Gain Admission into Delta State University (Delsu)
- How to Pass DELSU Post utme (Absolute Guide)
- Top 4 Mistakes Delsu Aspirants Make – (Number 2 will shock you)
- How to Check Your DELSU Post UTME Result Easily
- Delsu Change of Course & How to Apply (Guide)
- Updated List of All the Courses Offered in Delta state university
- 7 Understandable Reasons Why you will NOT GAIN Admission into DELSU
The department’s vision is to be recognized as leaders amongst entrepreneurial and research-intensive departments and as key players in the training of graduates that will acquire sufficient practical skills and theoretical knowledge to engage in teaching, research, entrepreneurial and other related activities in the Animal Industry.
The department of Animal science philosophy is to produce animal scientists with the right competence that would enable them to harness the tremendous opportunities in agriculture through designing appropriate technologies that are demand-driven in response to local needs for sustainable animal agriculture and livestock production that is economically viable and profitable, socially acceptable, and environmentally friendly.
- To produce the appropriate manpower equipped with necessary skills to establish and profitably operate animal and livestock enterprises;
- To improve the genetic stock and introduce scientific animal and livestock management in the Delta Creek ecosystem.
- To promote animal and livestock production and productivity by local small scale farmers, thereby providing solutions to the country’s animal science and livestock production problems and challenges.
- To equip our graduates with the right technical and entrepreneurial skills and capacity necessary to appropriate their scientific knowhow for the development of practical solutions and the advancement of the animal and livestock sub-sector.
- To design appropriate technologies that would be demand-driven in response to local needs and resolve ecological challenges for increased and sustainable animal agriculture and livestock productivity.
Delsu Admission Requirements in the Department of Animal Science
Candidates seeking admission into the programme must:
- Pass the UTME, which must include Use of English, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics, and Biology or Agricultural Science and meet up the University (Uniport) minimum score for the session in view.
- Pass the Post-UTME screening exercise of the University and meet up the requirements for the Faculty.
- Possess five credits in GCE/SSCE/NECO in the following subjects: Mathematics, English Language, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science and any one of Physics, Economics or Geography at not more than two sittings.
Structure and period of studies in the Universities, Industrial Training, planned visit and projects.
Students spend a minimum of five academic sessions (that is, 10 semesters) to complete the programme.
The students are first exposed to external farm environment courtesy of farm practice and field course at 200 and 300 Levels, respectively that require excursions and field trips to any functional farm, usually an integrated farm within or outside the state. The whole of the fourth year is used for Industrial Training (IT) programme (also referred to as the Students’ Industrial Work Experience Scheme; SIWES) at relevant farms and/or institutions.
Every student is made to initiate and complete a project under the supervision of one or more lecturer(s), depending on the nature of the project. Such projects are, usually, part of courses in the second semester of the final year and are core/compulsory for each student.
Such projects must be passed as students are expected to be successful at both oral examinations (viva voce) by the internal examiner(s) and the external examiner
Registration of Courses
- The period for normal registration is the first three weeks of each academic year, excluding the orientation week.
- The period for late registration is the fourth and fifth weeks of the first semester of the academic year. Late registration will attract a surcharge.
- Course registration is the responsibility of the student’s parent department. The Head of Department/Academic Adviser guides on the courses to register.
- In registering students, the department should ensure that students re-register all previously failed courses in which the programme requires a pass, and meet the prescribed requirements for each Course registered; furthermore, that the total credit units registered are not less than 15 or more than 24 per semester.
- Registration of courses is online, thereafter; the student should submit a copy of his/her Course Registration Print-out to his/her Head of Department.
- Any student who fails to pay his/her school charges and registers his/her courses online in a session loses his/her studentship for that session.
- Students are not allowed to sit for examinations in courses for which they have not previously registered. Such actions are fraudulent and culprits will be appropriately disciplined.
- Only results of bona-fide students (that is those who have paid their school charges and registered their courses online will be published online).
- A list of students registered for each course should be kept. This list should be displayed for one week immediately after the close of registration for necessary corrections.
- The parent faculty and the parent department will retain one copy each of this list and forward copies to the Teaching Faculty to be distributed as follows: one to the Faculty, one to the Department and one to the Course Lecturer. This list becomes the authentic register for the course examination.
- Students should be encouraged to join their departmental associations, but the dues for such associations should not be tied to registration.
- Application for adding or dropping a course must be made on the prescribed ADD/DROP Form after obtaining the approval of the Heads of Departments concerned, not later than four weeks before the examination in each semester. Any change of course made by altering the hard copy of the course registration form will be null and void.
Delta State University Contact Address
Note: Admissions into these graduate programmes are considered on an individual basis. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Department of Animal Science to make sure that supervisors are available for specific areas prior to application for admission.
Delta State University Contact Address
List of Available Departments in Delta State University
For some certain reasons, you are not able to find what you hoped you will find in this particular Delsu Department, we have taken our precious time to create a list of all the available departments in the prestigious Delta state University.
You can click here or the below button to see the full list of all the current departments in Delta state University, don’t forget to keep your eyes open for the accredited departments in delta state university.
Everything you need to know about Delsu
Delta State University which is popularly known as DELSU, is one of the most prestigious state owned university in Nigeria.
Delsu currently operates a multiple campus system with three distinct campuses, which are about 200 km apart.
The University has its main Campus located at Abraka, Delta State and other campuses in Anwai-Asaba and Oleh which are still in the same state, Delta.
Delta State University is one of the 25 federal universities that is been controlled, overseen and accredited by the National Universities Commission.
As of the time of this post, the University offers a wide range of educational programs, ranging from full time certificate, degree and diploma programs to part time weekend and evening degree programs.
Delsu also offers post graduate studies up to doctorate level.
The University possesses a student/staff counselling centre, an e-learning centre, students and lecturers accommodation facilities, sporting complex and host of other amenities.
This unique university boasted of about 36,000 student population as at the 2007/2008 academical session.
Frequently Asked Questions about Delsu
We took our time to research about the frequently asked questions about Delsu and came up with a bunch of them.
What is the full meaning of Delsu?
Delsu is an abbreviation for Delta State university.
When was Delsu founded?
Delta state university was established in the year 1992.
What is the motto of Delta State University (Delsu)?
Knowledge Character and Service.
What is the official website of Delta state university (Delsu)?
www.delsu.edu.ng offers every thing you need to know about the school such as weekly bulletins, library information, gallery, students admission status, etc.
While www.delsuonline.com offers portal services such as, students and admin logins, printing of school fees receipt, replacement of Lost identity cards, result checking, printing of departmental courses, etc.
Does Delsu offer Scholarships?
Delta state university offers scholarships, bursary, grants and different awards. The University has a special scholarship plan and grants to various categories of students.
Is Delsu a federal or state University?
Delta state university is a state owned university, which is overseen and accredited by the National University Commission
Where is Delsu Located?
Delsu is located in Delta state, Nigeria. It has it’s main campus in Abraka and other campuses in Anwai-Asaba and Oleh.
The History of Delsu
Delta State University(Delsu) was generally recorded as a center of Education.
It began as a Government Teacher’s Training college during the colonial period and a few years into the post colonial times.
Delsu became an educational college that awarded the Nigerian Certificate of Education (NCE) from the year 1971 to 1985.
The University got affiliated with the University of Benin in the year 1981, and started offering degree programmes from 1981 till 1985.
Before it became the faculty of Education of the then Bendel State University with its main campus in Ekpoma.
The creation of Edo and Delta states in the year August 1991 and the conversion of the formerly known Bendel University Ekpoma, in December 1991 triggered the establishment of the independent Delta State University Abraka.
This move was carried out by the then Executive Governor of the state, Olorogun Felix Ibru on the 30th of April 1992.
Delta State University began with Five faculties at its early stage:
- Faculty of Education.
- Faculty of Agriculture.
- Faculty of Arts.
- Faculty of Science.
- Faculty of Social science.
In the year 1995, the State government enacted a policy which enabled the University to posses 3 campuses.
These campuses were distributed within the 3 senatorial districts of Delta state.
As a result of this enacted policy, the main Campus was established in Abraka, and the other campuses were established in Anwai-Asaba and Oleh.
Delsu Campuses and Their Faculties.
Delta State University’s academical programmes/faculties are currently distributed among the Campuses below.
Delsu Abraka Campus
Abraka is an urhobo kingdom in Delta state, which has been made popular due to the fact that the main Campus of Delta state university (Delsu) is located there.
Faculties in Delsu Abraka Campus.
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Art
- Faculty of Social science
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Science
Delsu Anwai- Asaba Campus.
Asaba is a city found in Delta state, which is located at the western edge of the Niger River.
It is a fast growing urban area which possesses one of the Delta state university’s campuses.
Faculties in Anwai-Asaba campus
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Accountancy
- Faculty of Environmental Studies.
Oleh, the headquarters of the Isoko south local government area is home to one of the Delta State University Campuses.
It was established as a result of the amended Edict in the year 1995
Facilities in Oleh Campus
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Engineering
Delsu Hostel Accommodation (Halls of Residence)
The state owned university offers a wide range of accommodation for both post graduate and undergraduate students.
These Halls of residence are distributed through out the various campuses.
Abraka Halls of Residence (hostel)
- Abraka hall for males
- Canon Mason Hall for males
- Medical hostel
- Council Hall .
- Eco hall
- Ethiope hall
- Medical Hostel
- NDDC Hall
- Executive Hostel
Anwai halls of residence (hostel)
- Council Hall
- Asaba Hall
- Niger Hall
- NEEDS assessment hall
Delsu Oleh Halls of Residence (hostel)
- Two government hostel
- Brooklyn hall
- Two Government Hostels
- Isoko Development Venture hostel
- Women Affairs Hall
See What Others are Reading
- How to Prepare a Personal Reading Time Table
- How to Improve your School grades
- 7 Degree Courses that will keep you self employed
If are unable to find what you are looking for here or maybe you have any correction regarding this post, kindly DROP A COMMENT below and we will respond to you as soon as possible.