The objective of the Engineering for Development (E4D) Project is to foster research and education for individuals in low-income nations.
The E4D Program is kindly supported by the Sawiris Foundation for Social Development and the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation.
call made The current phase of the initiative spans from 2019 to 2023.
- Type: PhD
- Organisation: ETH Zurich
- Country to study: Switzerland
- School to study: ETH Zurich
- Course to study: Not specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2023
See Also: University of Melbourne 2023 Melbourne Chancellor’s Scholarship, Australia
About the ETH Zurich
Established in 1855 as the Federal Polytechnic School, ETH Zurich has always been a national centre of education with worldwide appeal, attracting students from all over the world.
The successful combination of a cosmopolitan outlook with national roots made the young educational institution one of the driving forces behind industrialisation in Switzerland: it brought the necessary expertise into the country, trained technical specialists, and contributed to the establishment of innovative national infrastructures.
The grant amount of 175 000 CHF will cover the doctorate students’ salaries for three years. The fourth year of doctoral studies and associated expenses are paid for by ETH academics.
ETH Zurich Engineering for Development (E4D) Doctoral Scholarship Courses
Also Check: University of Edinburgh 2023 The Catto Combined MSc and PhD Scholarships, Centre of African Studies
- General entry requirements for PhD study at the ETH Zurich and the relevant department must be met. Downloadgeneral entrance requirements (PDF, 180 KB)vertical align bottom.
- Experience in the chosen research field is necessary.
- According to the DownloadOECD DAC-2022-23 list, preference will be given to inhabitants of low- and lower-middle-income countries (PDF, 204 KB)vertical align bottom.
- The proposed research’s doctorate supervisor must be an ETH professor with a job at ETH that is guaranteed for the duration of the study.
- If the concept note is chosen, it is expected that the ETH Zurich professor will assist the candidate in developing the entire proposal and will monitor the candidate if the whole proposal is chosen for financing.
- A letter of support from the supervisor confirming their dedication to the project and outlining their monetary or in-kind contribution is provided.
Project of research
- The study’s topic falls inside ETH Zurich’s thematic purview.
- The request is a fresh doctorate endeavour, not additional money for an ongoing study.
- The creation of techniques, technologies, equipment, or goods that directly benefit disadvantaged people in developing nations is the focus of the study proposal.
- It takes into account the ecological, socioeconomic, and cultural surroundings.
- Programs with research collaborators from low-income nations must be based on the KFPE tenets.
- The creation and growth of the project involves all parties.
- Each partner contributes a sizable amount of cash or in-kind.
- The project is included into the general operations of the institutions concerned.
- Partners from nations on the DownloadOECD DAC-?2022-23 (PDF, 204 KB)vertical align bottom list are required for all projects.
Documents Required for Application
The concept note application must include:
- Completed DownloadConcept Note Application Form 2023 (PDF, 185 KB)vertical_align_bottom
- CV of the candidate
- Excellent MSc degree from a recognised university and grade transcripts
- Support letter of the supervising professor at ETH Zurich
- 2 reference letters from your field of research
- Relevant own publications or documentation of relevant activities relating to the project
- List of 5 independent reviewers (same field of research, but unknown to candidate and
Please refer to the DownloadEligibility and Criteria Document (PDF, 180 KB)vertical_align_bottom before applying.
How to apply
Are you interested and qualified? To apply, visit the ETH Zurich on ethz.ch
Submit by email to [email protected] the DownloadConcept Note Application Form 2023 (PDF, 185 KB). Only concept notes meeting all of the mentioned conditions will be considered.
April 30, 2023
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See What Others Are Reading:
- TWAS-SN Bose 2023 Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
- International Ambassador Scholarship for International Students at UWL 2023
- Boston University 2022 Trustee Scholarship for Undergraduate Students