The University of Otago PhD Scholarship provides financial assistance to doctoral students at the University of Otago.
Both domestic and international students are eligible for the scholarship. Candidates for professional doctorates, in addition to the PhD, are encouraged to apply.
- Type: PhD
- Organisation: University of Otago
- Country to study: New Zealand
- School to study: University of Otago
- Course to study: Not specified
- State of Origin: Not Specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: Not Specified
About University of Otago
The Otago Provincial Council formed the University of Otago in 1869. The new University was endowed with 100,000 acres of pastoral land and granted degrees in Arts, Medicine, Law, and Music.
The University launched in July 1871 with just three professors, one teaching Classics and English Language and Literature, another Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, and the third Mental and Moral Philosophy and Political Economy.
The next year, a natural science professor joined. With a further gift in 1872, the curriculum was expanded and new lectureships were established: Law lectures commenced in 1873 and Medicine courses in 1875. Mining lectures began in 1872, and a School of Mines opened in 1878.
The University was originally housed in a building (later the Stock Exchange) on John Wickliffe House in Princes Street, but it moved to its current site in 1878 and 1879.
Dentistry was founded in 1907 and home science in 1911. Accounting and commerce classes started in 1912. Between the wars, new chairs and lectureships were created, and in 1946 the Faculty of Theology began lecturing. 1947 saw the opening of SPE.
In 1870, a federal University of New Zealand was formed by statute to examine and confer degrees for all New Zealand universities until 1961. In 1874, the University of Otago became an affiliated institution of the University of New Zealand.
The University of New Zealand was disestablished in 1961, and the University of Otago Amendment Act 1961 restored its degree-granting authority.
Since 1961, when its roll was about 3,000, the University has expanded (in 2016, it had over 20,000 students) and broadened its range of qualifications to include undergraduate programmes in Surveying, Pharmacy, Medical Laboratory Science, Teacher Education, Physiotherapy, Applied Science, Dental Technology, Radiation Therapy, Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy (now combined in an Oral Health programme), Biomedical Sciences, Social Work, and Podiatry.
The University’s main campus is in Dunedin, but it includes Health Sciences campuses in Christchurch and Wellington (built in 1972 and 1977), an information and teaching center in central Auckland (1996), and an information office in Wellington (2001).
On 1 January 2007, Dunedin College of Education joined with the University, adding an Invercargill campus.
Aim and Benefits of University of Otago PhD Scholarship
- NZ philosophy doctor annual stipend of $27,000. Domestic fee waiver for 36 months. (Excludes insurance and the student services cost).
- professional doctorates (DClinDent, DMA, DBA, EDd) — annual remuneration of $27,000 New Zealand dollars. Waiver of tuition for 36 months, limited to domestic rates (excludes student services fee and insurance).
Requirements for University of Otago PhD Scholarship Qualification
- The candidate must be a domestic or international student.
- pursuing a professional doctorate or a PhD at the university as their first doctoral qualification.
The online application for the University of Otago Doctoral Scholarship can be filed at any time of year via the provided eVision portal.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Visit the University of Otago on www.otago.ac.nz to apply.
Doctoral scholarship applications can be submitted at any time of the year online through the eVision portal. After submitting your application for program admission, an alert in your student portal will invite you to submit a scholarship application.
See What Others Are Reading:
- Faculty of Engineering Merit Scholarships at Concordia University in Canada for 2022/2023
- UST Scholarships 2023 (Fully Funded) Application Process
- University Of Hull In England UK George W Gray International Scholarship 2022/2023