Global Youth Adaptation Summit – Youth United In Accelerating Climate Adaptation Rotterdam Netherlands 2023
Brief Description about Global Youth Adaptation Summit.
- Partial Funding
- Netherlands Universities
- Graduate, Postgraduate, Undergraduate
- All Subjects
- International Students
Young people from around the world are gathering in Rotterdam to shape the Global Goal on Adaptation. The Global Center on Adaptation and its Youth Advisory Panel are convening the first Global Youth Adaptation Summit to bring together young leaders, decision-makers and experts for the most important youth gathering on adaptation ahead of COP27.
Participants of the two-day program will join capacity-building workshops in the field of leadership and adaptation, follow keynote speeches by experts in the field of climate action, and deliberate in working groups on a written outcome of the first Global Youth Adaptation Summit, to be presented to the Friends of GCA High-Level Dialogue and at the Pre-COP27. In addition, the Summit is a platform to exchange experiences in implementing adaptation solutions with young people from around the world. The Summit will be concluded with a shared meal by young leaders and high-level dignitaries in the field of international diplomacy.
By bringing young people’s views on adaptation to COP27, the Global Youth Adaptation Summit is contributing to the objectives of the Glasgow Sharm el-Sheikh Work Program.
The Global Youth Adaptation Summit aims to:
- Promote the consideration of youth inputs in the review of the Global Goal on Adaptation by bringing together young leaders and decision-makers.
- Facilitate the exchange of young people’s experiences in adaptation action, advocacy and policy-making from the around the world.
- Accelerate adaptation action by showcasing youth-led climate-resilient solutions, including the Youth Adapt winners.
Throughout 2022, seven Regional Youth Adaptation Forums are taking place around the world culminating in the Global Youth Adaptation Summit to help identify youth’s recommendations on reviewing and implementing the Global Goal on Adaptation. These recommendations will be shared with GCA’s CEO Prof. Dr. Patrick Verkooijen, H.E. Ban Ki-moon and President Macky Sall of Senegal, at the Friends of GCA High-Level Dialogue. In addition, the outcomes will be presented to decision-makers in a publication at the Pre-COP27, thereby placing young people’s views at the heart of the UN climate negotiations.
Commitment: Youth shaping the Global Goal on Adaptation
Young leaders selected to take part in the Summit will be required to engage in adaptation efforts in their communities leading up to and after the Summit, through:
- Advocacy efforts to raise awareness of climate change adaptation.
- Engagement with decision-makers and policy-makers to present youth views.
- Replication of consultations to identify gaps, needs and opportunities.
Applications are open to young people interested in shaping the international adaptation agenda, and learning from young leaders from around the world. In particular, young people already committed to implementing climate solutions at the local, national, regional and international level are encouraged to apply. To minimize the carbon footprint of the Summit, only participants able reach the Summit by train will be invited to join in-person. Other participants will be able to join virtually.
Global Youth Adaptation Summit – Youth united in accelerating climate adaptation Rotterdam Netherlands 2023 is available to undertake Graduate, Postgraduate, Undergraduate level programs at Netherlands Universities.
The following categories of study are open to students who are awarded funding through this particular scholarship program.
♦ All Subjects.
For participants living outside of the Netherlands and within Europe, there are several scholarships available to cover accommodation and travel to the Summit. Those interested in being considered for a fully-funded spot can register their interest in the application form.
- The applicant must be between the age of 18-35 at the time of application.
- If selected, the applicant must be available to fully attend the program
- Must be available to take part in 1 virtual preparatory call in August 2022
- Participants joining in person must be able to communicate in English
Application is open through the form at the top of this page. The deadline for application is 10th July 2022.