Universität Hamburg’s merit scholarship programme assists outstanding international students and doctoral researchers in all subjects and degree levels who are socially committed and actively involved in an international context. A merit scholarship enables recipients to focus solely on their studies and provides them with the opportunity to develop their abilities.
- Type: Postgraduate
- Organisation: University of Hamburg
- Country to study: Germany
- School to study: University of Hamburg
- Course to study: Not specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: October 15, 2023
See Also: Keele University 2023-2024 GREAT Scholarship for Masters Students (UK)
About the University of Hamburg
The University of Hamburg (German: Universität Hamburg) is a comprehensive university in Hamburg, Germany. It was established on March 28, 1919, having developed from the previous General lecture system (Allgemeines Vorlesungswesen) and the Hamburg Colonial Institute (Hamburgisches Kolonialinstitut) as well as the Akademic Gymnasium.
Despite its relatively short history, the university is affiliated with five Nobel Prize winners and a multitude of scholars. Hamburg University is the largest research and education institution in Northern Germany and one of the largest universities in Germany.
The main campus is situated in the central district of Rotherbaum, while affiliated institutes and research centres are dispersed throughout the city-state.
Funding amount and duration of funding
The monthly maximum funding amount is €850. Depending on the availability of funds, individual doctoral researchers may be awarded a €1,000-per-month merit scholarship (roughly 2–3 merit scholarships are awarded per round).
Scholarships based on merit are granted for two semesters (total of 12 months). You are permitted to reapply for a scholarship. In exceptional circumstances, the maximum funding period is three years.
Also Check: Robinson Family Scholarship at University of Melbourne 2023,Australia
You are eligible for funding if you satisfy the following conditions:
- have been enrolled in your subject at Universitat Hamburg for a minimum of two semesters and are pursuing a degree (students in 2-year master’s degree programmes and doctoral researchers may apply after one semester has been completed);
- not possess German citizenship
- not qualify for the federal student loan programme
Those who do not qualify for funding:
- International students who meet the requirements of Section 8 of the German federal law on individual training assistance (Bundesgesetz über individuelle Forderung der Ausbildung; BAfoG) are eligible for funding.
How to apply
You can find a step-by-step guide to submitting your online application here: Guide (PDF). Follow the link for the application period of your choice and log in with your STiNE ID:
Form for applying (deadline: 15 April)
Form for applying (deadline: 15 October)
Then, you will be prompted to register and submit your application.
You must upload the following materials to the application website:
- motivation letter: please use this format (PDF)
- evidence of social and/or intercultural engagement (if aplicable)
- STiNE printout or list of course certificates as a record of accomplishments Doctoral and master’s degree candidates submit their final certificates.
- Two professors or junior professors at Universitat Hamburg provide evaluations. In justifiable cases, other University of Hamburg faculty can also prepare evaluations.
Format for evaluation form (PDF)
Only applications that are complete and submitted by the deadline will be considered. Therefore, begin assembling your application materials as soon as possible and have them prepared for uploading to the application portal.
October 15, 2023
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See What Others Are Reading:
- Australian National University (ANU) 2023 Changing Futures Scholarship For Domestic Students
- Radboud Scholarship Programme at Radboud University,2023
- Keiko Hongo Scholarship for Australian and domestic Students at University of Melbourne 2023,Australia