The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is a worldwide program that honors and qualifies the next generation of great computing researchers.
This fully-funded fellowship program by Microsoft is a global program and it benefits the next generation of research leaders who are eager to change the world with their research work and who want to contribute to the progress of their communities and the entire world as a whole.
Microsoft recognizes the importance of diversity in computing and is working to enhance the pipeline of talent earning advanced degrees in computing-related subjects in order to create a more diverse and inclusive computing research community.
About the Organization
Microsoft Corporation is a multinational technology corporation headquartered in Redmond, Washington, United States. It develops, manufactures, licenses, supports, and sells software, consumer electronics, computers, and related services.
The Microsoft Windows operating system, the Microsoft Office suite, and the Internet Explorer and Edge web browsers among the company’s most well-known software products.
The Xbox video game consoles and the Microsoft Surface range of touchscreen personal computers are the company’s major hardware offerings.
- For the academic year 2022–23, Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship will offer USD 15,000 to enable students complete research as part of their doctoral research project.
- A 12-week paid internship with the Microsoft Africa Research Institute will be granted to qualified applicants (MARI).
- There will be opportunities to establish partnerships with Microsoft research teams and acquire mentorship.
Requirements for Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship
- Microsoft’s aim is to empower every individual and organization on the planet to achieve greater success. Scholars should back this purpose and embrace opportunities to promote diverse and inclusive cultures in their own communities.
- Scholars on the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship must be enrolled at an African university.
- The proposed research must be relevant to one of the Microsoft Africa Research Institute’s themes (MARI)
- AI, machine learning, natural language processing, and data science: Data is typically limited and skewed in many beneficial applications. Picture how we work in these situations and produce useful findings has a significant impact on many practical issues and provides us with a thorough understanding of what it means to learn from data. From practical applications like natural language processing (NLP) to better understanding the fairness and generalization of outcomes and expanding our knowledge of what is achievable with the data provided for a given challenge. We’re curious about how we can work more effectively given data restrictions.
- Health: Advances in machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) provide us with an opportunity to overcome disparities in access to and delivery of high-quality healthcare for all people. We’re interested in learning about and investigating areas where technology might help fill the gap, such as supporting healthcare practitioners in performing their jobs more efficiently, bridging the last mile to patients, and increasing the delivery and reach of high-quality healthcare.
- Microsoft’s commitment to sustainability: will be realized by harnessing cloud and artificial intelligence (AI) solutions to improve the way we monitor, model, and, ultimately, help solve the world’s environmental concerns. We are using AI and analytics at MARI to better understand and develop solutions that will address sustainability concerns. We would be glad to welcome your application if you are a PhD student registered in an African university pursuing a PhD program in artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistics, or a related discipline with an emphasis on tackling problems connected to sustainability.
- Interaction between humans and computers: We are looking for Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) fellows to investigate Usability and Design issues in the fields of Work, Health, Sustainability, and Society. Interns in human-computer interaction (HCI) usually lead and perform research investigations (online or on the ground), usability tests, literature reviews, and design interventions.
- After taking into account transfers, approved leaves of absence, and other factors, students must be commencing their second year or beyond of their PhD program anytime between August 2022 and July 2023.
- PhD students must remain enrolled at the university at the start of the academic year 2023 in order to keep their award. The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship cannot be extended. We will work with you if you require time off for family or medical reasons. You can contact Microsoft Research Fellowships at [email protected] if you’re unsure if a specific need for time away will influence your award.
- Payment of the prize will be made directly to the university and disbursed according to the procedures of the university. If the student is no longer eligible for support, Microsoft will decide how any remaining money will be spent (e.g., if the student unenrolls from the program, graduates, or transfers to a different university).
- The funding is exclusively for use during the recipient’s stay in the PhD program; it cannot be utilized for assistance in a postdoctoral or academic job after graduation. Those interested in receiving this scholarship must ensure that their PhD program begins in the month and year that they plan to graduate.
If a recipient of the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is found guilty of improper behavior, such as bias, harassment (including sexual harassment), or plagiarism, their support will be revoked.
PhD academics should be able to present their research in English (both in writing and vocally) when submitting a proposal.
How to Apply for Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship
For further details, visit the Microsoft website.
The application deadline for the scholarship is June 7, 2022
See what others are reading:
- Scholarships in Australia: University of South Australia International 2022/2023
- Australian Queensland University of Technology Scholarships 2022/23
- Edith Cowan University International Masters Scholarship in Australia for 2022/2023