The Nahom Berhane Scholarship for Leadership and Inclusion is awarded to adolescents in the Greater Toronto Area who have demonstrated involvement, community service, and leadership.
Scholarships are redeemable at all postsecondary levels and can be utilised at any authorised institution (college, university, accredited trades schools or certificate programs). Full-time enrollment or application to a Canadian college, university, trade school, or other institution for the upcoming academic year is required (as defined by the school).
- Type: Undergraduate
- Organisation: Nahom Berhane
- Country to study: Canada
- Course to study: Not specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
See Also: University of Melbourne 2023 Melbourne Chancellor’s Scholarship, Australia
About the Nahom Berhane
Nahom Berhane moved to Canada from his home country of Eritrea when he was ten years old. In spite of growing up in the O’Connor Neighborhood, a mixed low-income neighbourhood, he pursued his passions for justice, politics, and art.
In 2005, Nahom graduated with a double major in Communications and Sociology from the University of Windsor. He worked as a community development and outreach worker for the North York Community House and joined the York Youth Coalition and the West Coalition on Housing and Homelessness.
Also Check: University of Edinburgh 2023 The Catto Combined MSc and PhD Scholarships, Centre of African Studies
The Scholarship will be disbursed directly to the school to help reduce registration costs, up to a maximum of $4,000. Application is necessary.
The applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be sponsored by a Mentor who will provide a letter of recommendation and agree to helping the applicant for at least one year on their educational path;
- Be enrolled in or in the process of applying to a full-time programme at a Canadian college, university, trade school, or other institution for the upcoming academic year (as specified by the school);
- Possess a signed MoU from the Mentor/Mentor Organization promising to serve as the applicant’s mentor for the length of the Scholarship;
- Be under 30 years old on December 31, 2023;
- Currently reside in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and have done so for at least two years;
- Enroll in a programme leading to a bachelor’s degree, diploma, or licence. Individuals who have graduated from an overseas programme are deemed to have obtained a first degree, diploma, or licence and are therefore ineligible for this scholarship.
- Have a track record of volunteerism, community involvement, and community leadership;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or in the process of acquiring permanent residency in Canada. (Applicants who have authorization from IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) to study at a postsecondary institution are eligible to apply. Evidence of a submitted application to IRCC will be required.)
How to apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Nahom Berhane on accessalliancehr.wufoo.com to apply
March 31, 2023
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See What Others Are Reading:
- TWAS-SN Bose 2023 Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
- International Ambassador Scholarship for International Students at UWL 2023
- Boston University 2022 Trustee Scholarship for Undergraduate Students