As a Research Intern at OIST, students in Bachelor’s and Master’s programs or recent graduates interested in the OIST PhD program may engage in educational activity. A research internship at OIST allows students to gain experience conducting research under the supervision of OIST experts.
Research Internships are awarded on a competitive basis twice yearly. The selection process is extremely competitive and based on the appropriateness of the proposed research, academic background, available funds, and available space. Vacant roles will not necessarily be filled to capacity.
- Type: PhD
- Organisation: Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST)
- Country to study: Japan
- School to study: Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST)
- Course to study: Not specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: April 15, 2023
About the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University is a private, interdisciplinary institution of higher education located in Onna, Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The institution provides a five-year PhD program in Science.
Over fifty percent of the staff and students are recruited from outside Japan, and all instruction and research are conducted in English. OIST is supported by grants from the Japanese government.
A research internship at OIST allows students to gain experience conducting research under the supervision of OIST experts.
OIST will provide the following support to applicants who are successful.
Allowance for interns
- JPY 2,400 per working day (Non-taxable and weekends excluded)
- Pass for OIST Shuttle Bus
- One round-trip direct flight ticket (travel date will be closest date to the term of placement)
- furnished off-campus or on-campus housing
The OIST Research Internship Program is open to outstanding students in their final two years of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program at universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or abroad, as well as their graduates. Students must get authorisation from their home institution to study abroad. The academic background of applicants must be suitable for their selected OIST host unit(s).
When accepted into the OIST Research Internship program, Japanese university/institution-affiliated Research Interns are needed to prepare and provide their own insurances. Combinations of Gakkensai and Gakkenbai, or other policies with comparable coverage, are acceptable.
Documents Required for Application
In order to apply for the program, you must first create an account. Remember both your login and password. You can submit the application in a single sitting or in consecutive sessions. To apply for this program, please complete and submit the following documents:
Statement of purpose
The Statement of Interest form can be found on the application form.
Please compose a 400-word (2,500-character) message addressing the following:
- How do OIST and your preferred research unit(s) align with your existing experience and skills? If you are interested in numerous research units, please provide a brief explanation of your interest and suitability for each in a single statement.
- What goals do you expect to achieve at OIST?
- How does a research internship at OIST fit into your long-term professional goals?
Academic Transcript and Diploma
Your current academic transcript as well as any other transcripts from previous degrees (BSc, MSc, etc.)
Diploma (BSc, MSc, etc.) in PDF format (if applicable)
- On the application page, a scan of an unofficial transcript or other documentation of grades may be posted.
- Non-English transcripts must be accompanied by an explanation in English.
- If you have not yet graduated and do not have a diploma, please attach your institution’s enrollment certificate (which preferably indicates your expected graduation date)
A letter of recommendation from a professor or researcher familiar with your work is necessary. Each candidate must submit at least one and no more than three letters of recommendation from qualified recommenders. The application system will request the letter(s) directly from your recommenders using the email addresses you specify on the web application form. Please seek your referee’s permission before entering their information into the form. We do not accept email correspondence from applicants. When OIST receives a recommendation letter, the application system will notify applicants automatically.
Upload a recent photo of your face in conventional passport orientation, front view.
Please use this APPLICATION FORM to apply to the program once you have gathered/prepared all the required materials.
Note: We suggest utilizing a computer to complete the online application. If you prefer to use a mobile device, please ensure that you have the most up-to-date operating system in order for the program to function properly.
How to apply
- Applications for the program must be submitted via the online form.
- Only until at least one recommendation letter has been received in the application system may you submit your application.
- You will be notified automatically that your application has been received. (Please double-check your email settings to ensure that you can receive emails from the @oist.jp domain.)
- Following the application time, applications will be evaluated and a selection process will be carried out.
- The announcement of the results will be made on your application platform three months after the application deadline. When the result is posted, you will be notified. (In some circumstances, applicants’ email services/settings prevent us from notifying them.) Please confirm that your inbox can accept emails from the domain @oist.jp.)
- All relevant arrangements will be made in collaboration with the interns upon final confirmation of internship offers. Your cooperation is essential to complete the logistics for the internship on schedule, including possible visa preparations and other Japanese government papers.
April 15, 2023
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See What Others Are Reading: