Do you wish to study in Canada? Have you been asking about the study in Canada Visa Requirements?
Well, we provide detailed answers to all of your most pressing questions about Canadian Visa requirements, including the following:
- How much it will cost you to study in Canada.
- Which courses are offered in Canada
- How you can use your Canadian study visa as a pathway to gain permanent residency in Canada.
- Why your study in Canada Visa may be disapproved.
Study in Canada Visa Requirements
Canada has developed into a buzzing hub that attracts a large number of international students who have aspirations of living in the country in which they complete their education.
Canada is fast becoming one of the most sought-after educational destinations in the world, and it also provides a straightforward route to permanent citizenship, which is something that many students from other countries really want.
The school system in Canada is consistently recognized as one of the best in the world, which has helped the country maintain its position as one of the top ten greatest places to live in the world for over twenty years.
- A student visa is an endorsement appended to a government passport that allows international students to study at accredited educational institutions in a country.
- The standard processing time for study permit in Canada is a total of 1 to 16 weeks.
- Without a work visa, the majority of overseas students in Canada are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week, and full-time during regularly arranged breaks from their studies.
- If you are planning to start classes in Canada, you should start the visa application process very early.
Popular posts: Top 7 Reasons why you should study in Canada
Before you think about migrating to Canada to study, live or work; you will need to make sure you are conversant with some terms we will be using in this article.
This brings us to what is called a study Visa, so what exactly is a study visa?
Essentially, study visas are a type of non-immigrant visa that do not require the bearer to acquire citizenship in that particular country.
Any prospective student who is interested in pursuing higher education in another nation is required to get a student visa from the hosting country(the country they intend migrating to).
In order to make this article less bulky you will find links to the full publication of each sub heading under the topic of discussion; Study in Canada Visa Requirements.
The below link leads you to an article that fully enlightens you how to get a Canadian student visa in few easy steps.
Make sure to read.
Quick Guide: Get a Canadian Student Visa with this 5 Easy Steps!
Canadian student visa
The truth is, students who want and need a less expensive alternative to studying abroad than they can find in other countries should look into studying in Canada as an option.
Studying in Canada trend is growing in popularity.
These days, institutions in Canada provides degrees that are every bit as prestigious as those offered in other countries including the United states of America, and they do so at prices that are typically more reasonable.
People in Canada place a significant degree of attention on education, which is reflected in the country’s consistently excellent educational standards.
These universities includes:
- University of Toronto
- McGill University
- University of British Columbia
- Université de Montréal
- University of Alberta.
Student Visa for Canada
Foreign students who wish to pursue their education in Canada must first get what is known as a student visa from the Canadian immigration authorities.
This visa grants the holder the legal right to study in Canada.
Truthfully, without a valid study permission, international students are not allowed to enroll in any educational programs in Canada.
No matter what anyone tells you, this is one of the many facts about the Study in Canada Visa Requirements.
In addition to this, students who obtain a study permit are granted permission to enroll in schools that have been designated as Designated Learning Institutions.
Apply for visa to Canada
When you are applying for visa to study in Canada, there are certain things you need to put in place.
Not everyone will tell you this but the truth is that just one little error can destroy your application to study in Canada.
Before you apply for Visa to Canada,
- Find out if you’re eligible to travel Canada at that moment, before moving on to;
- Obtaining the necessary paperwork that will enable you apply for a student study visa.
- You also need to find out what has to be done with regard to your biometrics (fingerprints and photo). When making their first application, the vast majority of candidates are required to provide their biometric information.
Little things like the above that are not well attended to hinder your application in studying abroad.
This leads us to getting the Canadian study visa itself.
Getting the Study in Canada Visa Requirements
Before you travel to Canada, you must ensure that you bring all of the documents that have been stated along with your Letter of Introduction.
You will need to speak with an Immigration Officer when you arrive at the airport.
There, you will provide the officer working at the border control agency with your passport and your letter of introduction.
The officer will validate both of these items, and if they are deemed sufficient, they will give you your study permit with no other issues.
You might be lost from what we just stated above, but keep calm and continue reading.
Everything will be made clear before the end of this publication.
Now, what are the visa requirements in studying in Canada?
Complete List: Best Canadian Universities for medical Students
Visa requirements of Canada
To save your time, the following is a quick list of the extensive list of prerequisites for obtaining a student visa to study in Canada for all international students.
This list also covers the documents that are required to apply in international countries as well.
- Your passport.
- Appropriate Canada visa application form.
- Proof of paid Canada visa fees.
- Proof of clean criminal record.
- Proof of being in good health through a medical exam.
- Photographs in accordance with the photo requirements for Canada visa.
- Proof of financial means.
- Proof you will return to your home country once the Canadian visa expires.
- Identity and Civil Status Documents.
- A cover letter that explains the purpose of your travel to Canada.
- Letter of support/invitation to Canada.
Click on the below link, where we explained all the Canadian Visa requirements in details while also including images for better understanding.
See Also: Complete List of Canada Visa Requirements(Explained)
How to get a Canadian visa
The application process for a Canadian visa is mostly determined by the type of visa you require.
In this case, we are more interested in the “Study in Canada Visa Requirements” which is simply the student visa to study in Canada.
You need to go through these easy procedures in order to apply for a visa to enter Canada:
- Find out if you are qualified for a Canada visa.
- Make sure you have an account set up online.
- Start the compilation on the document file.
- Pay the required fees.
- Patiently wait while your visa for Canada is processed.
- Send in your passport together with the necessary processing costs.
For more understanding of the above steps, we advise you to click on the below link for a detailed explanation
Relevant Insight: Detailed Explanation on How to get a Canadian visa
Canadian Visa Processing
The amount of time required by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to process your application from the moment they take possession of it until they issue a decision is referred to as the processing time for Canadian visas.
This is also referred to as the CIC processing times or the IRCC processing times.
When a person from another country is considering moving to Canada, they frequently ask the question, “How long would it take me to get there?” on their mind.
You need to first understand that the processing time and application requirements are different for each type of Canadian visa available.
See the below article to learn more.
See Detailed Explanation: Various Canada Processing Time for all types of Visa (Guide)
Study Permit in Canada processing time
In the same way that work permits work, the processing time for a Canadian study permit is primarily determined by the applicant’s home country.
This simply means that the country where you are applying from has a great effect to your Study in Canada Visa processing time.
In most cases, the processing time for a Canadian study permit might range anywhere from one to sixteen weeks.
Here’s a little guide on the essential need to know about Canadian study permit.
Must Read: Everything you need to know about Canada Study Permit
Canada study permit application
Your Canada study permit application will go really smoothly if you understand and follow some basic requirements.
In most cases, you will be required to submit an application for a study permission prior to migrating to Canada.
People who are already in Canada have the opportunity to submit an application for a study permit even in the shores of Canada.
You might be able to submit your application at the port of entry in Canada if you are also eligible.
Make sure you have a clear understanding of the choices you have open to you before you begin your application process.
You will certainly be required to submit an online application for a study permit regardless of whether you are currently located inside or outside of Canada.
In some rare situations, you are only eligible to apply on paper if you:
- have a disability that prevents you from applying online.
- hold an identity or travel document for non-national residents, refugees or stateless persons.
Learn more from the below article that will guide you on the application process for a Canadian study permit.
Must Read: Step by Step Application guide for Canada study permit
New rules for international students in Canada
There are three criteria that must be satisfied before you can enter Canada on a student visa:
- Unless you are a minor student, you are required to meet the criteria for a traveler who has had all of their vaccinations (under the age of 18 years).
- Unless you are certain that you do not require a study permit, you will be required to present either a current study permit or a letter of introduction proving that you have been authorized for a study permit.
- You must be attending a designated learning institution (DLI).
- The officer working at the border will be the one to decide whether or not you meet the requirements to qualify.
Incase you missed it: Complete Rules for International Students to study in Canada
Canada Work and study
One of the most significant benefits of choosing Canada as your study destination is the opportunity to hold down a job while you’re there, but before you can start earning an income in Canada, there are a few things you need to be aware of first.
Without a work visa, the majority of overseas students in Canada are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week, and full-time during regularly arranged breaks from their studies.
Working while you’re in school can help you support yourself financially, introduce you to new people, and allow you to create professional connections and experience that can set you apart when you go to look for a career in the future.
See also: Full list of Jobs available in Canada for International Students
Eligibility criteria for Canada Student Visa
If you meet all of the following requirements, you are eligible to submit an application for a study visa to Canada:
- You have been admitted to study by a designated learning institute (DLI).
- You are required to provide evidence that you have sufficient cash to cover the cost of your tuition as well as your living expenses.
- You will need to provide evidence that you do not have a criminal history and that your background is clean. In order to provide evidence of this, the applicants are required to show a certificate of police verification.
- You are required to have a medical examination and present a certificate from a doctor stating that you are in satisfactory physical condition.
During the interview for your visa, you will also need to demonstrate to the visa officer that you have the intention of leaving Canada once you have finished your studies there.
This is also one thing travel agents might not inform you but it’s essential you note this down.
Further Read: Detailed Explanation on Eligibility criteria for Canada Student Visa
Requirements for Student permit
After you have received notification that you have been accepted to college, you should submit an application for a student visa.
If you are planning to start classes in September, you should start the visa application process around June.
The following is a list of the documents that are required to apply for a student visa to Canada.
- Valid Passport
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Learning Institution
- Proof of Funds
- Passport Size Photographs
- Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score
- Statement of Purpose
- Credit Card
Read more from below article;
Must Read: Ultimate Guide to Requirements for Student permit in Canada
Canada spouse visa for students
Another aspect about Study in Canada Visa Requirements that is rarely mentioned is the area of bringing a loved one with you.
Your spouse or common-law partner may submit an application for an open work permit if you are an international student who is studying full-time and in possession of a valid study permit.
If you have an open work permit, your spouse or partner will be able to maintain a full-time job on or off campus while you pursue your education.
While applying for a study permit, some Canadian visa offices will also process the application for a spouse or partner’s employment permit.
If this is the case, you’ll also have to pay the additional money and submit an application for your spouse/work partner’s permit.
Couples usually arrive in Canada as tourists and then seek for work permits once they’ve arrived.
Your spouse or partner may be able to apply for a work permit at the border or airport where they enter Canada if they do not require a Temporary Resident Visa.
Relevant Insight: How to bring your loved ones along with you to Canada
Quick recap on Study in Canada Visa Requirements
If you’re looking for a place to study, Canada is regularly ranked as one of the world’s top places to live.
As a student in Canada, you’ll have access to some of the world’s best teachers and academics.
For international students, what are the advantages of studying in Canada, Many!
Studying in a big city or a cozy campus will have a lasting impact on your life, regardless of where you choose to go to study in Canada.
It might lead to a successful profession and a brighter future.
At the very least, you’ll be able to take advantage of the four distinct seasons, vast open spaces, diverse animals, rich cultural heritage, healthy environment, and incredible quality of life.
See what others are reading: