Swansea University School of Medicine has a world-class drug discovery and medicinal chemistry research program. Medicinal chemistry is important in many aspects of drug discovery and development research, providing numerous opportunities for interdisciplinary research.
This research project, which is being conducted in collaboration with Cardiff University and the Rega Institute for Medical Research (Leuven, Belgium), aims to identify and develop novel antiviral agents for norovirus infections, which will be used as both treatments and preventative measures during outbreaks. Norovirus, also known as the “winter vomiting bug,” is the leading cause of non-bacterial gastroenteritis worldwide, causing 699 million illnesses and 219,000 deaths each year, with enormous societal and health-care costs.
No commercial vaccines or antiviral drugs are currently available to prevent/stop norovirus infections, and the current therapy consists merely of supportive care with oral rehydration salts.
In this project, a combination of computer-aided drug design (molecular modeling) and synthetic organic chemistry methods will be used to identify and synthesize novel antiviral treatments in the form of small-molecule compounds that target the norovirus NS1-2 protein and the viral polymerase, both of which are promising targets for the development of antiviral agents.
A series of in silico analyses will be used to guide the design and synthesis of novel compounds capable of interfering with the essential functions of these proteins and thus impairing the virus life cycle. The new compounds will be tested for antiviral properties in world-class antiviral drug discovery centers after being evaluated in-house in a series of biochemical assays.
Modern laboratories and cutting-edge equipment will be on hand to support the research and provide unique training opportunities in advanced research techniques.
Excellent candidates with a background in medicinal/organic chemistry, drug discovery, or a closely related discipline should contact Dr Salvatore Ferla ([email protected]) to learn more about the project and the training opportunities available to the successful candidate.
- Type: PhD
- Organisation: Swansea University
- Country to study: United Kingdom
- School to study: Swansea University
- Course to study: View courses
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2023
About the Swansea University
Since 1920, Swansea University has been at the forefront of research and innovation. We have a long history of collaborating with business and industry, but today our world-class research has a much broader impact on our society’s health, wealth, culture, and well-being.
We have achieved extraordinary success in recent years, and our research activity exceeds that of many larger universities, but this has not jeopardized the friendly and relaxed atmosphere that has always defined the 12Swansea experience12. In this centennial year, we look forward to continuing to collaborate in order to improve lives and ensure a bright future for the next century.
This scholarship covers the full cost of tuition fees and an annual stipend of £17,668.
Additional research expenses will also be available.
Swansea University Medical and Healthcare Studies: EPSRC PhD Scholarship Courses
- Drug discovery / Medicinal chemistry/ Antivirals
Candidates must normally have a 2.1 (or Non-UK equivalent as defined by Swansea University) undergraduate degree in medicinal/organic chemistry, drug discovery, or a closely related discipline, or a Master’s degree with Merit (or Non-UK equivalent as defined by Swansea University).
If applicable, IELTS 6.5 overall (with at least 5.5 in each individual component) or Swansea recognised equivalent is required.
Candidates of any nationality are eligible for this scholarship.
Documents Required for Application
As part of your online application, you MUST upload the following documents (please do not send these via email):
- Transcripts and degree certificates (if you are currently studying for a degree, screenshots of your grades to date are sufficient)
- A cover letter that includes a ‘Supplemental Personal Statement’ explaining why the position specifically matches your skills and experience, as well as how you intend to develop the project.
- Two references (academic or former employer) on letterhead or using the Swansea University reference form. Please keep in mind that we cannot accept references citing private email accounts, such as Hotmail. Referees should provide their employer’s email address for reference verification.
- Evidence of meeting English Language requirement (if applicable).
- Copy of UK resident visa (if applicable)
How to apply
To apply, please complete your application online with the following information:
- Course choice – please select Medical and Healthcare Studies / PhD / Full-time / 3 Year / July
- If you have previously applied for the above programme, the application system may issue a warning notice and prevent you from applying; in this case, please email [email protected], and staff will be happy to assist you in submitting your application.
- Start year – please select 2023
- Funding (page 8) –
- ‘Are you funding your studies yourself?’ – please select No
- ‘Name of Individual or organisation providing funds for study’ – please enter ‘RS240 – PhD Med Chem‘
*It is the applicant’s responsibility to list the above information accurately when applying; applications received without the above information will not be considered for the scholarship award.
One application is required for each individual Swansea University led research scholarship award; applications listing multiple Swansea University led research scholarship awards will not be considered.
We encourage you to complete the following to support Swansea University’s commitment to providing a discrimination-free environment and celebrating diversity:
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Monitoring Form (online form)
For more details, visit Swansea University website.
March 1, 2023
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See What Others Are Reading: