Universities Canadian Tanaka Fund Grant to Support Promising Junior Japanese Studies Scholars (Canada) 2023
We are delighted to announce the opening of submissions for the Tanaka Fund Grant to Support Promising Junior Japanese Studies Scholars in 2023. This competition will be determined by the Covid-19 epidemic and any travel restrictions imposed by the Canadian or Japanese governments.
The Tanaka Fund was founded in 1974 as a result of a gift exchange between the Canadian and Japanese governments. Canada offered Japan $1 million to encourage Canadian studies at Japanese universities, while Japan contributed $300 million yen to improve Japanese studies in Canadian institutions. The monies were utilized to create the Japan Foundation Trust Fund for the Promotion of Japanese Studies in Canadian Universities.
The Japan Foundation established guidelines stating that the Trust Fund would be managed as an endowment and that the revenue would be used to support and promote Japanese studies in Canadian universities and colleges. Since 1975, Universities Canada has managed the Fund.
Support for Japanese language lectureships at Canadian universities was supported till 2016. The Tanaka Fund was reformed in 2018 to focus on young emerging researchers, fostering the next generation of Japanese Studies study in Canada.
- Type: Postgraduate
- Organisation: Universities Canada
- School to study: Universities Canada
- Course to study: Not specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: January 28, 2023
About the Universities Canada
Universities Canada is the national and international voice of Canadian universities. We are a membership organization that provides a single voice for higher education, research, and innovation to university presidents. Universities Canada, previously the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada, supports our member schools’ goal to improve lives, build communities, and discover answers to the world’s most urgent concerns.
- Annual Value: A total of $60,000 is available for this year’s awards.
- Value of Grants Masters or Doctoral level students: Grants up to a maximum of $10,000 are available
- Duration: A maximum of three months in Japan
- Only Canadian citizens or permanent residents are eligible.
- Students at the doctoral or master’s level who:
- are students at a Canadian university
- are undertaking study on Japan (including comparative research) using humanities and social science methodologies.
- are students at a Canadian university
- Masters students conducting research for their master’s thesis.
- Doctoral students conducting research for a dissertation proposal.
PhD students are not eligible. Please keep in mind that applicants whose most recent degree was less than 5 years ago will be given precedence.
How to apply
All applications must be received by Universities Canada’s Partnerships and Programs Division by January 8, 2023. Scholarship Partners Canada applications must be submitted through the Scholarship Partners Canada site (https://portal.scholarshippartners.ca/).
Follow the link and click “Register” to create an account.
You will be taken to the portal main page after your email has been validated and your account password has been set up.
Tanaka might be found by searching for public scholarships.
Select “Apply Online.” Applications sent through email, fax, or hardcopy will not be accepted.
Applications that are incomplete will not be considered by the selection committee.
To be considered complete, an application must include
- A completed application form
- Completed budget form (in application)
- A current curriculum vitae
- Two reference forms or equivalent letters of reference.
For more details, visit Universities Canada website.
January 28, 2023
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See What Others Are Reading:
- Siemens China International Scholarship at Tsinghua University,2023
- Radboud Scholarship Programme at Radboud University,2023
- ETH Zurich Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme 2022