Looking for doctoral funding? (Potential) doctorate candidates at the University of Hamburg are eligible for doctoral fellowships and grants of up to € 1,200 from the University of Hamburg.
- Type: PhD
- Organisation: University of Hamburg
- Country to study: Germany
- School to study: University of Hamburg
- Course to study: Not specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: Not Specified
About the University of Hamburg
Hamburg University (German: Universität Hamburg) is a comprehensive university located in Hamburg, Germany. It was formed on March 28, 1919, as an outgrowth of the former General Lecture System (Allgemeines Vorlesungswesen) and the Hamburgisches Kolonialinstitut, as well as the Akademic Gymnasium. Despite its relatively brief history, the university has five Nobel laureates and a long list of intellectuals on its faculty.
The University of Hamburg is the largest research and education institution in Northern Germany and one of Germany’s largest institutions. The primary campus is in Rotherbaum’s central district, with affiliated institutes and research centers distributed throughout the city state.
- Scholarship support, which is typically awarded for a year, should follow work immediately. Exceptions will be made in exceptional circumstances. If family-related considerations prohibited you from continuing sooner, you may be granted 4 years of employment + 3 extra years of labor (absolute maximum!).
- The fellowship is worth EUR 1200 per month. Parenting fellows may be eligible for an extra EUR 154 for childcare expenses. The applicant must produce verification for the latter.
- Fellowships are available for one year. Stipends could be extended for another year. Fellowships for completion cannot be extended!
- If your spouse or husband is fully working, please inquire about financial alternatives with the office.
- HmbNFG-scholarships are available to all qualified Hamburg students. However, medical students (UKE) are only eligible to apply if their PhD dissertation focuses primarily on a subject from another faculty, such as medical psychology, pharmacy, biology, chemistry, or physics. The typical approach for UKE medical students is to compose course-related doctoral dissertations.
- Your graduation from college should not be older than one year. Chances of winning a scholarship are diminished if your last exam was taken more than a year ago. In exceptional circumstances, we may additionally accept applicants who graduated up to three years ago (absolute maximum! ), such as when family or health obligations stopped you from continuing earlier.
How to apply
To apply, please utilize the forms located under “Downloads”; it is vital that you adhere to the preceding guidelines about application procedure details.
Extensions of stipends can only be requested during the application period. Your application must include a research report and two reviews from industry experts.
Candidates should not apply if they have not passed all of their tests. All grades must be submitted one business day prior to the awarding conference of ZANF (central commission for the promotion of young scientists-typically held in January and June/July) in order to be considered for the scholarships.
Applicants are responsible for submitting all needed documents on time and in full! For formal reasons, we cannot accept late applications. The date of submission online applies. The deadline for submitting certificates and diplomas has been extended by one week; please inquire about the exact date!
Please send your request to [email protected]
Your application will be reviewed by the departmental committees responsible for financing young researchers. In a priority list, each committee details its evaluations of the individual candidates and their proposals. The university’s central committee for sponsoring young researchers (Zentraler Ausschuss für die Nachwuchsforderung, ZANF) has the last say.
Probability of success
Twice a year, we receive sixty applications, of which around fifteen are accepted. Roughly thirty extensions are given.
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See What Others Are Reading:
- University of Tokyo Todai Fellowship 2022
- Radboud Scholarship Programme at Radboud University,2023
- ETH Zurich Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme 2022