UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD fellows typically stay at UNU-WIDER for three months before returning to their home institution.
During their time in Helsinki, fellows write one or more research papers and give a seminar on their findings. They may also be able to publish their findings in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
- Type: Phd
- Organisation: United Nations University (UNU)
- Country to study: Finland
- School to study: United Nations University (UNU)
- Course to study: Not specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: September 30, 2023
See Also: University of Melbourne 2023 Melbourne Chancellor’s Scholarship, Australia
About the United Nations University (UNU)
The United Nations University (UNU) is a global think tank and postgraduate educational institution based in Japan. The UN University’s mission is to contribute to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems of human survival, development, and welfare that concern the United Nations, its Peoples, and Member States through collaborative research and education.
In order to carry out this mission, the UN University collaborates with leading universities and research institutes in UN Member States, serving as a link between the international academic community and the UN system.
Also Check: University of Edinburgh 2023 The Catto Combined MSc and PhD Scholarships, Centre of African Studies
UNU-WIDER provides a travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from your PhD granting institution, medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness or accident while at UNU-WIDER), and a monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the fellowship period. Dependent expenses are not covered by the programme.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme and have demonstrated research ability in developing economies.
- Candidates from other social sciences may apply, but keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is primarily an economics institute.
- Candidates must be fluent in both oral and written English, as well as have strong quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills.
- Applications from early-career, female, and developing-country researchers are especially encouraged.
- The programme is aimed specifically at researchers in the final stages of their PhD.
How to apply
- If you want to participate in this UNU-WIDER programme, please fill out and submit the application form.
- You will be asked to upload your curriculum vitae as part of your application. Your PhD supervisor must provide a letter of reference to UNU-WIDER, which should be emailed (by your supervisor) to the following address: phd reference(at)wider.unu.edu. The reference letter will also serve as proof that you are currently enrolled in a PhD programme at your university.
- Please keep in mind that we do not accept applications via email or postal mail.
- Only twice a year does UNU-WIDER accept online applications for the Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme. Each year, the application deadlines are March 31 and September 30 at 23:59 UTC+3.
- If you apply in September, you will be visiting UNU-WIDER between February and June of the following year.
- If you apply in March, you will be visiting UNU-WIDER from August to November of the same year.
- 31st March 2023
- 30th September 2023
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See What Others Are Reading:
- TWAS-SN Bose 2023 Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
- International Ambassador Scholarship for International Students at UWL 2023
- Boston University 2022 Trustee Scholarship for Undergraduate Students