For some, the process to becoming a permanent resident of Canada may be fast, while for others, it may be long.
Direct entry into Canada is possible from outside the country or within the country by applying to one of the country’s several immigration schemes.
However, many people who are granted permanent residency initially enter Canada as temporary residents.
This is feasible if you have a work or study permit.
A temporary resident’s experience in Canada counts toward the application for permanent status.
The following are the three primary types of direct permanent residency immigration schemes in Canada.
How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada – Types of Canadian Residency
- Economic Class
- Family Class
- Business Class
The first step is to determine which class you are most likely to succeed in depending on your qualifications.
There are numerous immigration programs for each class meant to attract applicants who have the best chance of assimilating rapidly.
Is Economic Class Immigration an Option for Me?
During the next three years, Canada expects to accept more immigrants from the Economic Class than from any other category.
Candidates must plan their immigration strategy with the Economic Class in mind.
Must Read: Job as a Food service supervisor at PK Banff Inc in Canada
The Express Entry mechanism is utilized for federal economic immigration.
What is Express Entry?
This is the management structure employed by Canada for its economic immigration initiatives.
The following are Canada’s federal economic immigration programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker
- Federal Skilled Trades
- Canada Experience Class
- Provincial immigration program
What Is the Express Entry Procedure?
- Candidates must submit a self-evaluated profile to be considered for the Express Entry pool.
- A Comprehensive Ranking System is used to grade each profile in the pool.
- The profiles with the highest ratings are invited to apply through standard Express Entry lotteries, which are held every two weeks (ITA).
- Applicants have a strict 60-day deadline after receiving an ITA to submit a complete application.
For 80% of candidates, the ideal processing period after getting an Express Entry invitation (ITA) is six months.
What Happens If I Am Not Eligible for Express Entry?
Those who do not meet the Express Entry eligibility conditions might look into provincial immigration programs.
Canada’s provinces have policies in place to handle a number of distinct labor market shortages.
Among them are long-distance truck drivers in Saskatchewan, information technology specialists in British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec, and physicians in the Atlantic provinces.
Must Read: How to Live in Canada: Canadian Immigration Guide
Even though some jurisdictions have specific lists of in-demand occupations that open and close in less than a day, most provincial immigration programs require a job offer to qualify.
If you do not meet the requirements for a provincial program, you should consider asking for a work permit.
You could first temporarily move to Canada through the popular Study Permit program or the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
You could eventually make a permanent move.
Who Can Be Sponsored Under The Family Class Category?
One of the fundamentals of Canada’s immigration system is family reunion.
The federal government expects to welcome 88,500 immigrants under family sponsorship in 2018, with that number climbing to 91,000 by 2021.
- Partner in crime
- Children who are financially dependent
- Orphaned brothers and sisters, nephews and nieces, granddaughters and grandsons who are under the age of 18 and are not married or in a common-law relationship
- Another relative of any age or kinship, but only under certain circumstances
- accompanying relatives of the aforementioned (for example, spouse, partner, and dependent children).
Each type of sponsorship has unique requirements and wait times. Those who do not meet the requirements should think about their economic class.
Business Class Immigration
How Do I Meet the Business Class Immigration Requirements?
This is how businesspeople and high-profile individuals can become permanent residents of Canada.
Entrepreneurs and high-net-worth individuals should think about applying for permanent residency in Canada through federal or provincial immigration programs.
Relevant Insight: The top 10 most in-demand occupations in Ontario, Canada
A work permit is typically the first stage in a two-part process for provincial programs. Candidates who meet the standards from the province are then invited to apply for permanent residency.
Several federal business initiatives are available:
- Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program (IIVC)
- Visa for Self-Employed Class Start-Up
- Quebec is one of the provinces in Canada that has a Business Class immigration program.
The business class immigration program includes the Quebec Entrepreneur Program, Quebec Immigrant Investor Program, and Quebec Self-Employed Program.
With the exception of Quebec, all provinces in Canada offer business programs. If all requirements are completed, candidates typically acquire a work permit to enter Canada and become citizens.
Remember when we discussed a two-step program? This approach is also used by these provinces to give Canada residency.
- The province of British Columbia
- Brunswick, New Brunswick
- The province of Nova Scotia
- The province of Prince Edward Island
- Labrador and Newfoundland
How Can I Apply for a Permanent Resident Visa in Canada?
To begin, you must obtain an Invitation to Apply (ITA) through one of the programs indicated above. Following that, you will be able to apply for a permanent resident visa. Then, carry out the following steps:
- Please give evidence of your criminal history as well as a medical certificate.
- Submit your permanent residency visa application.
- Pay the required application fees.
- Interrogations with immigration officers
- All documentation required to support your application is requested.
- A skill evaluation test Enough money to cover applicants’ living expenses for their first few months in Canada.
- The results of the language exam Extra costs and paperwork
After being granted permanent residency, you will be handed a five-year PR card that can be renewed. As a permanent resident, you can work, study, and live in Canada indefinitely.
How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada Through Express Entry:
Applications For Canadian Permanent Residency
Only those who have received an Express Entry invitation to apply for permanent residence are eligible.
Your Express Entry invitation is only valid for 60 days from the date you get it.
Begin filling out the online form as soon as possible so that you have all of the necessary information and documents before your invitation expires.
To complete the online form, follow these steps:
- Make an account and sign in.
- To apply for permanent residency through Express Entry, follow the link.
- Include all necessary supporting evidence when filling out the form.
- Your responses must all be correct and complete.
- If you do not fill out all of the required fields, you will be unable to submit your application.
- You can store your form input and return it as needed.
What Are The Fees Associated With Your Canadian Resident Application?
- Your application will cost $1,365.
- Include your companion: $1,365
- A dependent child is expensive. $230
How Long Will It Take For My Canadian Residency To Be Processed?
The processing time is determined by the program.
Your application may also ask for biometric information.
This period includes the time it takes you to provide your biometrics.
How Do I Fill Out The Application Form?
To finish the application, follow the steps below.
Register for or login to the Permanent Resident Online Application Portal.
To access each application form, click on its name, then fill it out as prompted. Some forms need that you fill out an online form, while others require that you provide a PDF.
Trending: How to Get a Job as a Receptionist in Canada
Please use the web form if you have any technical issues with the portal.
Please mention that you are applying through the provincial nominee program when selecting the type of request from the drop-down menu for technical difficulties in the text box to guarantee a prompt response.
You must complete the online digital forms shown below.
You will complete these online forms (for yourself and any family members 18 or older)
- Canada Application Form Generic (IMM 0008)
- Background/Declaration Schedule A (IMM 5669)
- Additional Family Details (IMM 5406)
- Additional Information – Your Travels (IMM 5562)
- You must also fill out these PDF forms, which do not need to be signed.
As the primary applicant, you will electronically sign for the whole application, including any added to your online application by family members.
- Document Checklist
- Economic Classes – Provincial Nominee
- Economic Classes: Provincial Nominees – Business Nominees
Fill out these PDF forms and sign them if applicable. Sign it by hand and have a third party sign it.
If applicable, provide it in the uploads part of your application:
Separation Declaration for Minors Traveling to Canada Form Statutory Declaration of a Common-law Union
It is a criminal to provide incorrect or misleading information on these forms. The information you provide as part of your application may need to be validated.
Be thorough and precise.
Complete each segment. Please specify “Not Applicable” or “NA” if a section does not apply to you. If your application is returned to you because it is incomplete, the processing of your application will be delayed.
If you need more room for any section, include an additional page with the relevant component, fill it up, and upload it with your application. You should select “other” as the document type.
See more: 2000+ Foreign Job Openings in Canada
Select “Other” from the drop-down option (Document type) and attach any supporting documents or other information to your online application in one of the following formats: JPEG, PDF, or JPG formats are all acceptable.
How Do I Add a Signature?
When applicable, applications with missing signatures will be emailed back without being processed.
You will electronically sign for the complete application, including those of your family members, as the lead applicant, by typing your full name precisely as it appears on your passport.
Check for any required signatures and, if necessary, sign electronically or by hand. They will return your application without processing it if forms are not correctly signed in the designated locations and by the designated signers.
Some paperwork may demand several signatures or from more than one person. Enter a date whenever it is required.
A parent or legal guardian must sign for a dependent child under the age of 18 who needs to sign something.
How Do I Fill Out The Form?
You must first complete the Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) online before submitting an application. There is no need to print or sign by hand.
Unless otherwise specified, you must answer all questions on the application form.
You can also save your form and come back to it later to finish it.
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Telegram Group
See what others are reading;
- Complete guide: Easiest way to Become an Animal Trainer
- Complete guide on how to become healthy as an Anorexia
- Complete Guide: Easiest Way To Become An Electric Car Mechanic